Monday, November 17, 2008

Sunday movie night

I'm not a movie buff (which translates I love watching movies but I'm fine too if I happen to miss any recently screening). But once in a while when I'm a bit free, I usually go to my private DVD supplier (a.k.a also know as my 5th aunt) to borrow the movies which I missed.

My aunt has all the movies played on the silver screen but not all good movies are played there, especially the independent ones or movies with lower budgets. They are usually considered too 'artistic' for the general public.

Anyhow, I recently was surfing the net and came across a few movies which I'm interested in. Dark City, The Crow, Donnie Darko and Butterfly Effect are a few of them.

Tonight, I decided to cut my list down by 2. It's amazing this internet generation... I actually watched both Donnie Darko and Butterfly Effect of the internet.
Donnie Darko. A 2001 cult classic psychological thriller flim written and directed by Richard Kelly. It stars Jake Gyllenhaal. The film depicts the reality-bending venture of the eponymous character as he seeks the meaning and significance of his troubling end of the world visions. (source: Wikipedia)

The movie was a bit difficult to understand at first but then I slowly got the hang of it in the end. Well, it made more sense later after I 'wikipedia-ed' the synopsis. And just like what the director wanted, I did interpreted the movie to my own understanding. A sequal will be out next year called S. Darko. It's about Donnie's sister (Samantha) 7 years later after his death and is played by the same little girl from the movie. And yes. The purple bunny is still there.

The other movie I watched was The Butterfly Effect staring Aston Kutcher. I watched this movie I think 4 years ago when I was in Beijing. This is actually one of my favourite movies. Not because of the cinematography but beause of the theory and concept behind it.

Butterfly effect: A phase that encapsulates the more techincal notion of sensative dependence on initial conditions in chaos theory. Small variations of the initial condition of a dynamical system may produce large variations in the long term behavior of the system. So this sometimes presented as esoteric behavior, but can be exhibited by very simple systems: for example, a ball placed at the crest of a hill might roll into any of several valleys depending on slight differences in initial position. (source: wikipedia)
This movie has 2 endings. The one I saw in Beijing was actually the 120 minutes long Director's cut and the one I just saw was the 113 minutes long theatrical cut. After watching both, I personally prefer the director's cut better.


Director's cut


Theatrical cut

There was a sequal to this in 2006 but apparently it didn't do just as well as the first. A 3rd sequal is set to but out next year too named Butterfly Effect: Revelation.

Next weekend when I'm free, I'll watch Butterfly Effect 2. Cause right now, 2 movies a night is enough. And not forgetting it's already 1am on a Monday morning.

No comments: